So even though I rarely post on this blog, which I’m hoping to change, I have decided to switch to WordPress. Drupal is still an impressive CMS but if all you want is a blog, I believe WordPress wins hands down.
- It is more robust. Frequently when I update Drupal things break. This very rarely happens with WordPress.
- Writing posts with one or many images is much easier.
- Many more plugins to choose from. In Drupal when you are looking for a feature there might only be one option, that is in beta. In wordpress there could be 10 or 50 and most of them work fine.
- Configuration is easier.
- Upgrading is easier.
- Security is easier, if you don’t have many roles to deal with.
- WordPress appears to be faster and requires much less DB resources.
- WordPress has better Mobile options (one of the reasons I decided to switch).
This is not to say that Drupal is not useful. It surely is. But unless you are in need some of their more complex features, e.g.: Views, CCK, Panels, Workflow, Permissions, Forms, etc, it is not worth the pain. There are certainly areas where Drupal shines, but for this blog I’m pleased tha I’m using WordPress now.
Who knows, maybe in three more years I’ll move back!